- About Us
- Press Room
- Higher Ed
- Our Advocacy Agenda
The Education Trust, named one of the three most effective education organizations on Capitol Hill, seeks a Field Associate to join the organization’s division of Government Affairs and Communications.
The Field Associate will play a key role in the organization’s work to expand and intensify the impact of the Education Trust’s efforts to forever eliminate the achievement gaps in K-12 and higher education. Reporting to the Assistant Field Director, s/he will help design and lead programs to identify, educate, and mobilize key individuals, constituencies, and organizations outside of Washington, D.C., around the Education Trust’s message, agenda, and specific policy proposals.
About the Organization
The Education Trust promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those who are black, Latino, American Indian, or from low-income families—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Field Associate’s responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Engage state-based education reform organizations in the work of The Education Trust so that they can learn from our organization and further issues of equity at the state level, and so that our staff can learn from, and ensure that our work is informed by, the work of the state advocates;
- Conduct field research with/on external advocacy organizations;
- Assist in the development of interview, survey, and focus group protocols for the systematic collection of information from external advocacy organizations;
- Assist in the creative development and implementation of various outreach and grassroots strategies;
- Working with colleagues in the communications department, utilize social and traditional media in order to educate and mobilize partners and potential partners in the work of The Education Trust;
- Coordinate with the policy and practice teams to develop field relevant materials, presentations, and other tools; and
- Serve as an “in the office” presence for the field team when members of the team are on the road, including checking the mail, communicating directly with people who need help, and keeping the lines of communications open with the team members who are traveling.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Demonstrated ability to set goals, prioritize work, deliver on objectives, and manage staff effectively;
- Demonstrated ability to develop field research procedures such as power structure analysis, summary histories, and listing of key issues and developments;
- Knowledge of public interest campaigns, including grassroots and online organizing strategies and advocacy tactics;
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and systemically and to capitalize on external opportunities;
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse organizations;
- Excellent organizational, oral, written, and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of education policy; and
- Ability to travel approximately 5-10 days per month.
- Commitment to the Education Trust’s mission;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity;
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that single document. Our application process will not allow you to upload more than one file. To begin the application process, click this link: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9559461
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.