- About Us
- Press Room
- Higher Ed
- Our Advocacy Agenda
Vice President for Operations and Strategic Leadership
The Education Trust, a leader in the national education equity movement that has been named one of the three most effective education organizations on Capitol Hill, seeks a Vice President for Operations and Strategic Leadership to help guide the organization through an exciting next phase of development.
Reporting to the President, Kati Haycock, the Vice President for Operations and Strategic Leadership serves as the organization’s chief operating officer, ensuring the smooth, efficient, and productive operation of the organization. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, s/he works closely with the President, other Vice Presidents, and state office Executive Directors to facilitate strategic integration of the organization’s multi-faceted work.
About the Organization
The Education Trust promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those who are black, Latino, American Indian, or from low-income families—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas.
Our organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $14 million, a 60-person staff, state offices in California and Michigan, and two supporting organizations. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Vice President for Operations and Strategic Leadership’s key responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as a key leader of the Ed Trust’s senior management teams, including responsibility for agendas and focused meetings that involve integration of the work of all departments and cross-cutting major programmatic and operational issues.
- Lead the organization’s strategic planning and work planning processes and ensure appropriate integration of cross-divisional work.
- Effectively lead and develop an 11-person team that includes Finance and Accounting, Human Resources and Office Administration, Information Technology, Development and Strategic Partnerships, and Meetings and Conferences.
- Ensure effective coordination and healthy working relationships among Operations teams in all three offices, as well as with two supporting organizations.
- Lead the organization’s efforts to ensure robust talent management and maintain a healthy organizational culture. Provide coaching and mentoring to the organization’s managers, and assist the President in ensuring the productivity, accountability, and well-being of the Ed Trust staff.
- Manage the operations of the organization’s Board of Directors, maintain the organization’s by-laws, and serve as the key liaison between the Board and the organization.
- Foster effective working relationships with national, state, and local organizations that can help further our mission.
- Lead by example through ongoing improvement in skills and abilities, and keep the Ed Trust mission front and center at all times.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a senior leadership/management role, preferably with some experience in an education-related nonprofit organization that seeks to influence federal and/or state policy;
- Exceptional management and leadership track record, with proven success in managing and mentoring individuals and teams to meet ambitious organizational and professional goals;
- Demonstrated success in a complex, fast-paced, high-performing organization, with the ability to prioritize projects and work cross-functionally;
- Demonstrated understanding of nonprofit budgeting and accounting, contract management, and legal compliance;
- Successful track record in organizational fundraising;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Exceptional relationship-building skills;
- Patience, flexibility, and a high degree of integrity;
- Collegial, collaborative managerial style, and a sense of humor; and
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them.
- An advanced degree is strongly preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file. To begin the application process, click this link: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=8659121
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.