- About Ed Trust-Midwest
- Our Work
- Press Room
- Michigan Success Stories
Managing Director of Strategic Partnerships
The Education Trust-Midwest seeks a full-time Managing Director of Strategic Partnerships, reporting out of our office in Royal Oak, Michigan.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Education Trust-Midwest promotes high academic achievement for all Michigan students at all levels – prekindergarten through college. Founded in Michigan in 2010, ETM works alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders in Michigan to transform schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses and research, shape the organization’s work with the goal of closing the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people – especially those who are black, Latino, American Indian, or from low-income families—to lives at the margins of the American mainstream.
ETM is part of the national Education Trust network which is headquartered in Washington D.C. Founded in 1996, the Education Trust speaks up for students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. The Education Trust is widely recognized as an unrivaled source of effective advocacy, expert analysis and testimony, concise written and spoken presentations, research, and technical assistance to districts, colleges, and community-based organizations. Ed Trust’s California division, Ed Trust-West, has worked to close achievement gaps for more than 13 years in the state of California. Regardless of location or context, Ed Trust, Ed Trust-Midwest and Ed Trust-West maintain a relentless focus on improving the education of all students, particularly those the system traditionally has left behind.
To learn more, visit www.edtrustmidwest.org and www.edtrust.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Education Trust-Midwest seeks a full-time Managing Director of Strategic Partnerships to develop and lead new partnerships – and deepen existing partnerships – to advance educational quality and equity for all Michigan children. Reporting to the Executive Director in our Royal Oak office and working in close partnership with the executive leadership and program directors, the Managing Director of Strategic Partnerships will provide overall direction to develop, coordinate, and implement the organization’s collaborative efforts to advance a state-wide policy and educational agenda on behalf of students, in partnership with other organizations across the state.
This is a new position at The Education Trust-Midwest, and this individual will serve as a member of the management team. This is a senior leadership role. This individual will provide the strategic vision and collaborative leadership necessary to plan and execute state-wide coalition-building and new partnerships focused on advancing educational equity and quality. This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced, strategic-minded individual to build a new body of promising work and leverage the organization’s successful track record and expertise in policy, practice and advocacy work at the state levels.
Key responsibilities of the role:
• Develop and sustain productive relationships with key state-wide and local business, education and advocacy groups, and membership organizations that are essential to the success of Michigan public education, from prekindergarten to K-12 and higher education.
• Provide collaborative leadership to develop an agenda with partners to advance educational quality and the closing of achievement gaps for all Michigan students. Work with partners on the effective implementation of such plans to dramatically raise the level of student achievement and teaching for all Michigan children.
• Assist the executive director with the engagement of grass-tops organizations and leaders, particularly in Southeastern Michigan and West Michigan.
• Work in collaboration with the executive director to develop and sustain constructive relationships with philanthropic community. Assist with grant writing; identifying new opportunities to raise teaching and learning in Michigan; and the development of new projects and support of on-going external projects.
• Build and maintain effective systems to track and monitor state-wide collaborative efforts and progress for students.
• Work in partnership with the ETM management team to develop annual and long-term goals and strategies around the ETM agenda.
The ideal candidate will bring the following professional experience and personal characteristics:
• A passion for and commitment to the mission of The Education Trust-Midwest.
• An ability to communicate effectively the critical need for solutions to the persistent gaps in opportunity and achievement among those at the margins of the American mainstream, especially among low-income families and communities of color.
• A proven track record of organizational leadership and the development of productive strategic partnerships that contribute to a successful organization’s mission.
• Leadership experience in K-12 policy or education – either in traditional public or charter public schools – is strongly desired. Knowledge of Michigan education, and public policy is required. Advocacy experience is ideal.
• Able to work well under pressure and inspire confidence and energy internally and externally. Adaptable and flexible, excelling in a fast-paced, often-changing state policy environment.
• A strategic and comprehensive approach to planning and decision-making; the ability to back assertions with facts and data; a strong management record with proven success in producing results.
• Deep appetite for networking and relationship-building.
• A collegial, consultative, and team-building approach that puts others at ease and engenders trust; the ability to actively listen, with an appreciation for nuance in communication.
• Excellent written, presentation and communication skills and the experience and inclination to be an effective, outgoing spokesperson for The Education Trust-Midwest.
• Sophistication, with the intellectual depth and maturity to work with executives, staff, business and education leaders, policymakers and civic leaders.
• Exceptional organizational skills with an eye for detail; the highest degree of professionalism and follow-through.
• Unquestioned integrity and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
• A desire to build a growing organization in Michigan.
• A flexible, innovative nature and a sense of humor.
• Willingness to travel regularly through the state, particularly in Southeast Michigan, West Michigan and Mid-Michigan.
• Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures and perspectives.
• An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust-Midwest offers a comprehensive benefits package – including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, a 403(b) plan with employer match, and generous vacation time. Paid holidays include the week between Christmas and New Year’s and all federal holidays, with the exception of either Columbus or Veteran’s Day.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Please use “Managing Director” as the subject line for your e-mail. We review applications on a rolling basis, so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
The Education Trust-Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.
Contact info:Nicole Fury: firstname.lastname@example.org