The Education Trust–West (ETW) seeks a full-time Data and Policy Analyst. The analyst will analyze, report, and manage California education data; will conduct research on policies and programs affecting traditionally underserved students in California's schools; and will analyze policy proposals. This position reports to the Director of Policy and Research.
The Education Trust–West works for the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-k through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate and students of color and low-income students from other youth, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. For more information about ETW please visit our website at www.edtrustwest.org.
- Collect and analyze publicly available education data relevant to school performance and student outcomes, with a lens toward opportunity and achievement gaps.
- Summarize data in written materials, PowerPoint presentations, and other advocacy and web collateral.
- Maintain and develop ETW websites and web tools that report school and district performance data, including the District Report Cards website.
- Research, analyze, and track education-related legislation and policy developments, which may include but is not limited to: Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, assessments, accountability systems, STEM, and English-language learners.
- Assist with the research, writing, and project management of ETW data and policy publications.
- Proactively generate new ideas for how ETW can expand its use of data for research and advocacy.
- Respond to requests made from inside and outside of the organization for data and policy information.
Qualifications and Experience:
You must have:
- Passion for ETW’s mission
- A bachelor's degree, although a master’s degree in related field is preferred
- A mix of strong analytical, research, and oral communication skills
- Excellent writing ability
- Expertise in Excel and proficiency analyzing large data sets using SPSS or similar
- A self-starter and multi-tasker who works quickly against deadlines
- Able to work well independently but also with a wide range of people
- Create and seek out new ways of doing things
- Obsessed with detail and accuracy
- Serious and highly motivated while also fun to work with
It would be great if you also have:
- Familiarity with major sources of California education data
- A passion for data visualization and familiarity with a range of tools that can help prepare and share data (e.g. Tableau, GIS, Google Charts, the latest and greatest data/tech solutions)
- Experience with website content management
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust–West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
- Send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Subject Line write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Data & Policy Analyst – Smith”
- Please save your resume and other materials as attachments with names as follows:
o Data & Policy_Smith_Resume
o Data & Policy _Smith_Cover letter (and so forth)
- *** NO TELEPHONE INQUIRIES, PLEASE!***
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.