The Education Trust—West seeks a Director of Operations and Planning to support the work of the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations and Planning will provide leadership and continuity for the organization in several areas including strategic planning, budget development and management, grants administration and writing, and general administration of the organization.
About the Organization
The Education Trust—West works for the high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color and low-income students from other youth, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the state in transforming K-12 public schools into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state policy agenda. For additional information on The Education Trust—West, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Director of Operations and Planning responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with team members to develop strategic plans and organizational priorities;
- Coordinate the development of ETW work plans and timelines;
- Work with ETW senior staff to develop an Advisory Board and coordinate regular meetings and activities.
Budgeting, Contracts, General Administration
- Responsible for developing annual budgets, forecasting, expense coding and all related budget needs, in coordination with the Education Trust CFO in Washington D.C., and the Ed Trust West Executive Director;
- Develop budgets and projections for funders and proposals;
- Review and manage financial and administrative paperwork, and oversee the flow of paperwork between ETW and the Education Trust;
- Handle contracts and financial paperwork and coordinate with the Education Trust as needed;
- Oversee office administration, facilities management and ETW technology needs;
- Supervise the recruiting and hiring process for ETW;
- Administer human resources and benefits paperwork, particularly during open enrollment and with new hires or exiting staff, in coordination with the Education Trust HR department;
- Supervise the Development Officer, the Operations Coordinator, and the Executive Director’s Executive Assistant;
- Manage, in conjunction with the External Relations team, the process and use of the organization’s contact database in Salsa, and if appropriate in MS Outlook or similar software;
- Generally seek to improve the efficiency and flow of work in the office by proactively supporting other departments, from an operational perspective, as appropriate; e.g. - provide or manage support logistics for external events planned by the Education Trust—West; recommend possible software for increased efficiency; maintain the Operations Manual etc.
Development - Supervise the Development Officer in their duties as outlined below:
- Ensure the timely submission of all grant proposals, budgets and reporting requirements with the Development Officer, senior staff and the national office;
- Responsible for reviewing all proposals and grant reports, with assistance from leadership team and the Executive Director;
- Research and target potential funding sources;
- Develop and maintain a system for monitoring and evaluating the organization’s effectiveness that is suitable for reporting to funders.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Eight to ten years of experience in operations, budget and administrative management;
- Budgeting experience required, familiarity with foundation grants preferred;
- Highly flexible, creative problem solver, strong ability to multi-task;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Superb organizational and time-management skills;
- Uncompromising attention to detail;
- Strong computer skills; proficient or advanced skills in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook), familiarity with database applications and the Internet;
- A demonstrated ability to plan effectively, but the flexibility to handle the unexpected;
- Undergraduate degree required, Master’s Degree in related field preferred.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity;
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com to be considered for this position.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.